I got quite a bit of this cotton seersucker last week and was planning on sewing matching smocks for the girls like these (the ones on the book cover), but made a Flicka style dress for Sadie instead. I have plans to make Delia a similar one, (that would be for Ricka) although I ran out of linen and also used up a bunch sewing a skirt for myself to match, Jesus, I have lost my mind. So hopefully I will have enough fabric for Delia's dress. If not, I will do a top only. She's small, you know.
I toyed with adding something cute or more custom to this. Embroidery? Freezer paper stencil? But, I kept it simple in the end. It seems like kids clothes, when you buy them, are never plain. They always have some much stuff on there, you know, to make them "cute" or whatever, kind of drives me crazy, so keeping this simple feels just right to me. That, and I need to finish my skirt, so there you go.
Here's the back view of the dress. My skirt has great potential at this point, but I did cut it on the bias and it is very stretchy, so there has been some swearing with this one, but I think it will turn out okay. If I never speak of it again and Delia's top is inexplicably cut on the bias, you will know it was a disaster. Sadie's dress is McCall's 4757, by the way.
It was recycle day when this was taken, which is why they are at the window. The recycle men are like superheros! the kids love them!