The pinafore for this month's Tie One On theme is done. I had been kvetching about the idea of making pinafores for Sadie and Delia's witch Halloween costumes (I must multi-task with these craft projects, especially with both their birthdays coming up in the next 7 weeks.) but how could I make witch dresses without sleeves? Will they look witchy enough?
I imagined big bell sleeves, you know, that kind of thing, and Pete suggested a capelet. My God! A Capelet!! Perfect! Who is this man!? I have to tell you, he didn't use the word caplet, but cape, and although it my seem a bit dandy, I should mention here this is the same guy who has made me put Magnum P.I. in our Netflix queue (and he does have a few Hawaiian shirts, but would never wear them with shorts.)
So here is the capelet, which completes the witch outfit. Now Sadie can wear it all over normal clothes (hopefully with the perfect stripy tights) and be all warm, snug, and comfortable when we go trick-or-treating. I really try to make costumes that will not be too small for dress up later. Mom always made mine and I wore them for years. Seriously. Like one costume, a bumble bee, I wore for more than 4 years. I loved that get-up. I probably still have it somewhere.
So, now I just need to make Delia's caplet and pinafore and the hats for both, none of which will happen before the 15th, but I have a good start anyway. I used my new machine's fancy stitch to attach that green ribbon, giving this whole witchy-poo costume a slightly folksy look.
I have noticed that my sewing projects this year for Sadie are running a tad short. I think I am in denial about how much she has grown and how tall she really is. Sigh. The Big girl is turning 4 next weekend and I really really can't believe it.