A new summer dress was made for the eldest child. The youngest has a b-day in 8 days, so of course I made something for a different child—just to give myself even less time. Upon completion, the middle child was sad (rightly so) that her dress wasn't done yet. I explained that I couldn't sew both at the same time. She didn't believe me. It was then declared by the eldest that from now on, all sewn items need to be made for the middle child first. This was noted by myself and all present. I think my photo stylist's hand popping in there is very funny. Thank you husband.
The amazing hanger is from the small object, of course.
There is a matching sketch book cover for Miss Sadie, who is always drawing stories now. It comes off, so we can add new books as she fills them up. I am in love with this striped fabric.
There are a million things bouncing around in my head, but for my own sanity I will just list details of this dress:
It's my own pattern. I would tell you it was based of this blouse pattern, but really, it has been altered so much that directing you to that pattern to make this dress would only cause swearing. That's the short answer. The binding is FOE which also gathers this cotton stripe at the neck and arms. The cotton stripe has a wee bit of stretch. The hem is finished with the serger (rolled hem) as is the book cover. The gathering on the bodice is just 1/8" elastic pulled tight and stitched on. Done and done.
I have no idea where this fabric is from—I have had it a few months and don't remember where I got it. The dress was super easy. This was not the case with dress #2 for the middle child, which I will blog about later when I have had more time away from it. I am still mad at that dress. I believe bad sewing mojo happens in 3s, but this dress had about 6 things go wrong with it. It is dang cute though, so I will show it soon.