They worked like charm. I used the recipe I linked to in the last post. These are peppermint marshmallows dipped in semi-sweet chocolate. They are oddly refreshing!
A few things:
- The recipe (I think) calls for a 9" x 12" pan. I used an 9" x 9" to make them extra thick—so they are almost perfect squares when cut.
- I used about 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- I used an alarming amount of natural red food coloring to turn these pink. But they aren't pink at all. They are sort of an undead looking grey/mauve. How appetizing! Either I need to bust out the real food coloring, synthetic dyes and all, or just go with the uncolored white and let people use their nose to tell them they are peppermint.
- I dipped them in melted chocolate chips and then added the sprinkles on the top, popping them in the fridge to help the chocolate set up.
- These are so good, but I can't eat them unless they are at least a day old and have been chilled in the fridge, which is where I store them if I dip them in chocolate. I like the chocolate crunch with the soft marshmallow—if they are too fresh, they make me gag. I know, I'm not doing a real good job of selling these—they are really good though!