I sewed this skirt about a month or so ago. I know it was in May. It was soon after I saw this skirt (scroll down) from Talbot's and needed to make a similar one for myself. I didn't make it exactly the same, different details and length. I love it, love the pockets and the buttons and all that, but I can't believe what a fussy little sewing project this was. Here is my summary:
- The wee bit of stretch in this cotton made it annoying to work with. I didn't use any fusible interfacing, which would have helped. As it is, (because of the stretch) it always seems to big.
- I used Simplicity 2656 I love having pockets but this pocket in the pleat detail, while super cool, was hard. Way too hard for an a-line skirt. Like laughable hard. Especially in a solid color fabric.And especially if one doesn't plan to tuck in a shirt while wearing it, because with a blouse untucked, all the details slaved over are lost.
- This pattern New Look 6969 sewing pattern would have been much easer and I plan to use it for a red skirt.
- But having said all that, I do really like it and love how tailored the details are. I really like sewing new patterns with different construction challenges. Originally I made this with super cute covered buttons, but switched them out. The shank on covered buttons always seems too long, and so they seem to catch a lot on fabric and work themselves loose.
- I do feel much much better having this intense green in my closet. I have been wearing it a ton.
Unrelated, yet extremely important:
Last weekend we (the adults in the house) saw Trek in the Park, and I implore everyone in Portland to go see it! It's free—it's an outdoor performance of an original Star Trek episode (the one with Kahn!) and is super fun. Go really early if you want to try and sit.