For my 40th we had a shindig and it was pretty wonderful. Desserts were brought and consumed with much enthusiasm. I need to take a moment to document these wonderful offerings—mostly for myself so I don't have to dig around and pester people later trying to remember where these recipes came from.
- The Black Forest Trifle was outstanding and was also enjoyed with coffee for breakfast the next morning. The recipe is here.
- The Lemon Rhubarb Bundt cake was stellar in every way. It's from Rustic Fruit Desserts. Both of these were made by Melissa, who has identical dessert tastes as mine. This has served us well on many occasions. She kindly snapped this photo.
- I made a yellow cake with orange rind and studded with chocolate and frosted it with espresso chocolate buttercream frosting. For this I used a standard yellow cake recipe, added the rind of one orange and some chocolate bits to the batter. To the chocolate frosting I added 2 teaspoons of instant espresso powder. It's shown here with the "40" sign.
- Ooey-Gooey Browines (not shown) were made and brought by my mother-in-law and have been a favorite of ours for years. They are always a winner.
- Homemade Twix bars (not shown) from Emily were devoured at lightning speed. I even saw some of the adults swipe half-eaten abandoned ones off of kids' plates. They were that good. She links to the recipe in this post.
Unrealted to desserts:
Nick Waterhouse was on heavy roation and I can't say enough how much I am loving his newest album.